Sunday, April 8, 2012

Does a Hoodie Make Me a Hoodlum?

I am sure by now everyone in the nation is familiar with the "Trayvon Martin" situation.  If not let me give you a small run down on the situation.  Trayvon is a 17 year old that was killed my a Neighborhood Watch  participant (George Zimmerman).  There was no gun found on Trayvon, actually the only thing that was found on the 17 yr old was a package of Skittles and a Iced Tea.  Trayvon was an average build for a 17 year old but Mr. Zimmerman thought that maybe Trayvon was acting suspicious, allow me to add that Trayvon was also on the phone with his girlfriend at the time of walking thru this neighborhood.

So far I don't see anything wrong with what the 17 year old was doing.  He did have on a hooded sweatshirt and it was dark.  Mr. Zimmerman did call the police and tell them about this suspicious guy that was in the area.  The police thanked him for the call and said they would handle it from that point.  Zimmerman continued to follow Trayvon and told dispatch that he was following him.  The police dispatch told Zimmerman that was not necessary and not to follow the boy any longer.  That was the last time anyone saw Trayvon Martin alive.

My problem with this entire scenario is, what was so intimidating about this 17 yr old boy?  Did Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman have problems before this incident? Was it the hood on the hooded sweatshirt that made Trayvon look so suspicious/intimidating?  Was Zimmerman having a bad day or was his house broken into previously to the incident?  What made it ok for him to kill a 17 year old boy that was on a cell phone?

I am not going to play the race card and say that Trayvon got killed because he was black, with a hoodie on and that appearance can be intimidating and suspicious to others.  I will not play that card cause if I do I am subjecting myself in a range of fire.  I wear hoodies, talk on my cell phone and I am black!  Is the hoodie a suspicious look or are we giving unprepared people the authority they have not earned?  Yes this is a situation that needs to be addressed because I am not willing to be killed over a hoodie.  I am not doing anything but wearing a hooded sweatshirt so its justifiable for someone to kill me because that may be an intimidating look?  In so many ways, Trayvon Martin lives in me and that is why I can't overlook this senseless tragedy.  Although it happens in so many neighborhoods in America, how many times does this matter gets No Recognition!

No comments:

Post a Comment