Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dys-"Fun"-ctional

Who's to say what is dysfunctional or not?  We all come from different walks of life and everyone cannot be familiar with the others upbringing.

I am a city boy from the South Side of Chicago (currently living in Madison, WI), I grew up in a low income area.  As a kid and young adult, I was introduced to what many people would consider unbelievable.  When you are in a Big City, you grow up fast.  So fast that you miss your childhood because you are so anxious to do what the grown ups are doing.  That leads me to another questions: When are you considered a grown up/adult?  We all know those 40 yr old kids that will not leave there parents house and we know the kids that get kicked out as a teenager but what qualifies someone as being an adult?

Is it when you are able to take care of your personal responsibilities?  Is it when you reach the ages of 18-21?  I am curious as to what makes us think we are grown?  As a man, I feel I am an adult but I would never consider myself grown.  To me grown means you are done with growing and I am all about Growth and Development.  I am growing everyday in some form or fashion so I will never label myself as grown.  When I consider myself grown, I will not be able to tell anyone cause my life would have expired.

I have given my opinion on the matter and I think there are so many people out in the world that consider themselves grown and taking on the roles as parents and adults but don't want the full time job of being that adult nor do they want the responsibilities everyday.  This is where I think Dysfunctional Families come into play. Many are worried about the fun and they lose sight as to how Dys-Fun-ctional they really are.  They are creating a circle of life by reproducing, cause kids only know what you show them. An if you show them that being Dys-Fun-ctional is the way to go than be prepared for that next generation to come with the same exact attitude.  Have Fun!

This is just one man's opinion...

1 comment: